Sunday 26 August 2012

28-29/3/2012 - The last of the epic bus rides

Inexplicably the bus journey seemed to fly by. Either my boredom threshold is going up or I'm actually beginning to enjoy the terrible films that have been a running theme throughout my bus travels. The 36 hour marathon threw up such gems as “White Chicks”, “Grown-Ups” (again) and the outstandingly awful “Old Dogs”. I'd originally become aware of the latter film back when Aled, Arth and I were on the west coast of the US and had seen a trailer for it. At the time we were all struck by how horrific it looked so it was nice that towards the end of a another journey I got to experience just how devastatingly bad it was first hand.

Another highlight that I also remembered was from a previous bus journey when I was relatively impressed that “Downfall” (a great film about the last days of the 3rd Reich) was being shown. However in true South American style the film was inexplicably turned off 10 minutes before the end so we never got to find out what actually happened to those pesky senior Nazis. Maybe that's how the idea for “Iron Sky” came about.

Arriving in Mendoza, I was again reminded that an actual world existed outside of the bus. I like to think that I've been learning a bit about who I am whilst travelling. Perhaps my tolerance of epic bus journeys suggests I don't mind incarceration and would probably get accustomed to prison life quite quickly. Good to know.

The 15 minute walk from the bus terminal to my hostel, located slap bang in the middle of Mendoza, convinced me that I was going to like this place. The whole city had been left in tatters after a huge earthquake in 1861 but had been rebuilt in a carefully planned way whilst still retaining a lot of charm. After a wander around I met up with Jack, a friend from University who was also travelling South America but had started in Argentina. In true touristy fashion, we decided to celebrate our meeting by going for a steak and wine dinner – an Argentinian staple.

Jack had been given a recommendation for a restaurant which turned out to be a fairly plush affair and would certainly have been expensive if they hadn't mistakenly only charged us for one steak. We weren't complaining since the steaks were absolutely top draw. We ended the night by foolishly going to an “artesan beer” bar which promised much but delivered watery pints of bilge and ignited a pang of homesickness as we lamented the lack of good beer in SA. We were foolish to expect anything else, especially in the land where wine is king. With that in mind, we decided to tick another touristy box by doing a tour of the wineries, a good number of which are located close together in a suburb of Mendoza... on bike. Neither Jack nor I can claim to be connoisseurs or particular fans of red wine but when in Rome...

No comments:

Post a Comment