Sunday 26 August 2012

21-23/3/2012 - Asunción, NEXT!

Landing in Asunción I was greeted with torrential rain but I obstinately dodged the cabs and got a bus into the city. Eventually tracking down a hostel and found it to be deserted, apart from the Swedish guy working there, a German couple about to leave and an American guy. After a brief wander around the neighbourhood, beers were procured and we spent the night chewing the fat. The Swedish guy was a particularly odd character. His stories of heartbreak at the hands of an Argentinian girl and his ongoing attempts to buy a car in Paraguay were funny in all the wrong ways and I couldn't keep a straight face or the cynicism out of my voice when I spoke to him. Luckily he didn't seemed offended.

The next day I spent exploring Asunción and apart from an unexpected number of good looking ladies and a warning from a policeman about straying into areas that were “Peligroso, peligroso” (yawn) there was little memorable about the city. The buildings were pretty enough and the people friendly but there was nothing outstanding or notably “Paraguayan” that I could put my finger on. Again I will make no generalisations from my brief stay.

In the evening, the fiancé of the hostel owner (who was currently away) offered to take me and Drew (the American guy) out on the town. The proposal smelt of danger but her husband-to-be wasn't getting back for a few days (and I would be leaving tomorrow) so we went for it. It was a relatively fun night as she dragged us around a couple of discos, the last of which had an “erotic dance” performance at 3am. Very odd.
The aforementioned fiancé of the hostel owner was quite an interesting person – she was my age, already had a baby and a pretty nice car to boot. So perhaps she'd notched up a few more rungs on life's ladder but she definitely didn't seem happier for it. Hmm.

The next day I waved goodbye to what had definitely been one of my more bizarre hostel experiences and grabbed a bus to Ciudad del Este and then a taxi across the border into the town of Foz de Iguazu in Brazil!

No comments:

Post a Comment