Sunday 26 August 2012

19-21/3/2012 - No peace in La Paz – on to Paraguay

I'd had enough Wild Rover-ing so I moved to a more chilled out hostel and spent a few days exploring La Paz (and catching up on much needed sleep).
When I'd been in Cuzco, I'd gotten a recommendation for an Asian food place from the Australian owner of the restaurant at which I'd enjoyed an excellent plate of alpaca.
He could only vaguely remember the area the restaurant was in and didn't even know what it was called but I was up for a challenge and if “the best Asian food In South America” (according to him) was on offer, I was gonna hunt this place down. The midday heat wasn't particularly forgiving as I wandered the streets only having a vague notion of what I was looking for but eventually I tracked it down and boy was it worth the wait.

On Wednesday morning I decided to take in a spot of paragliding which I found to be a somewhat underwhelming experience. Since I'd never done it before, I had to do a tandem flight with a trained instructor. I felt like a giant baby strapped in front of the pilot who did all the steering. After a fun take off where we had to charge down a steep hill side and get the wind to lift us, the flight quickly became tame and dull. Oh well, at least that's that box ticked.
At least the view was nice
Right after getting back, I jumped on a night bus east to Santa Cruz where I spent a grand total of about half an hour before catching a taxi to the airport from which I got a flight to Asunción in Paraguay. I justified this opulence by reasoning that I had very little time left and the money spent (around £100) was worth it. Man oh man why did I waste so much time in Arequipa?

No comments:

Post a Comment