Sunday 19 February 2012

3/2/2012 - Huayna Pichu and the end of the adventure

As the 5am bus I was on snaked its way up to Machu Pichu, the mist surrounding Huayna Pichu seemed to disperse and reform every couple of minutes – looks like there would be no guarantee of a decent view once I got up there. Arriving at the deserted Machu Pichu with only a handful of others was much more enjoyable than yesterday's experience when the town was already rammed with big groups of camera laden tourists slowly snaking their way through the ruins. 
View from Huayna Pichu
Wandering through mazes of eerily quiet avenues, climbing devilishly steep stairs into cramped corridors and traipsing along the dew-covered terraces with hardly another soul around was a hell of a lot of fun. Having gotten my fill of playing explorer it was time to go and tackle Huayna Pichu, a mere trifle at 2720m above sea level (and actually only a climb of 360m from Machu Pichu). Nevertheless, I worked up a good sweat blasting up the steps and squeezing through the odd cave en route to the top - God knows how the camera crew and numerous fat people I passed on the way made it up.
Camera crew on the top of Huayna Pichu
 Cloud hung thick around the summit (which was little more than a collection of massive boulders and progressively filled up with tourists as time went on) but I had brought plenty of biscuits and my ipod so I settled on the the top boulder to wait. As I listened to a podcast about the impending development of a strain of person-to-person transmittable bird-flu (for some reason that stuck in my mind) the mist lifted and my wait was rewarded with a delicious view of the ruins below; box ticked. I spent another couple of hours trekking the deserted paths around Huayna Pichu, taking in an Inca site embedded in the mouth of a cave, a few more hours around Machu Pichu (its unlikely I'm going to come back here any time soon so I thought I'd make the most of it) and then it was time to head back to Aguas Calientes and from there catch the train back to Cuzco. 
Cave Inca site

On the train I had an interesting chat with a geologist-cum-environmentalist from Chile who told me a bit about the currently turbulent situation surrounding the indigenous Mapuche people in Chile. My rusty Spanish language neurons creaked back into life but the sheer breadth of vocabulary he was using reminded me that I really have to keep studying.

Arriving back into Cuzco in the late evening, a few of us wandered along to Loki, a “party-hostel”, where some of the others from the trek were staying. The first person I bumped into was the Russian guy I'd met in a club weeks ago in Quito, Ecuador. Nothing surprises me any more. 
The money shot
 

No comments:

Post a Comment