Sunday 19 February 2012

13/2/2012 - Rest day


I woke up to discover that I'd suffered pretty substantial sunburn to my face. Turns out snow reflects UV – another thing 5 years of physics hadn't taught me. Red-faced I headed to a nearby bakery to breakfast on delicious bread stuffed with “dulce de leche” (something between caramel and condensed milk); thanks to Christina for pointing me in the right direction. The Aussies only had a couple of days left before they were off to Ecuador so we decided to try and squeeze in a trip to nearby Colca Canyon (the second deepest canyon in the world – only nearby Cotahuasi Canyon is 335m deeper). Bypassing the tour agencies and opting to head to the canyon ourselves, we lunched on ceviche (fresh raw fish marinated in citrus juices with sweet potato) and headed to the bus terminal to buy our tickets to Cabanaconde – the village closest to the canyon. Our bus would leave at 3am tomorrow (a salesman from one of the bus companies said that if we left any later “the rivers would be too high” which was ominous to say the least) so after a quick wander around Arequipa, which made a pleasant first impression, I headed for an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment