Sunday 19 February 2012

12/2/2012 - El Misti day 2: To hell and back


Blessed with another restless night I felt like I'd barely closed my eyes when my alarm went off and my watch showed 3am fast approaching. Riding the bolt of that hyperactive energy that comes from lack of sleep I squelched into my wet clothes and burst out of the tent. The clay-coloured rocky landscape punctuated with tufts of greenery we had gone to sleep in was now homogeneously white and the drizzle was replaced by a snowfall guilty of the transformation. Only our tents, barely visible in the feeble light of my head torch, confirmed that this was indeed the same campsite we had stopped at yesterday.

After an uninspiring breakfast we set off to the sound of “Big in Japan” by Alphaville blasting from the radio carried by one of the guides; another surreal memory that is likely to stay with me. Despite the addition of snow on the trail, the first hour's walk was pretty enjoyable and our spirits were buoyed by such gems as James Brown's “I feel good” and Whitney Houston's “I will always love you” (the significance of which would become apparent on our return) echoing across the snowy landscape. Our loads were also significantly lighter since we'd left the tents, the majority of our belongings and one of the English guys (the one who'd lagged behind on the first day) at the camp. After the first hour, things got harder.

One of the guides lead the way and forged a twisting path up the steep mountain-side which seemed to only get steeper, the higher we climbed. Hours passed and on we trudged, the air in our lungs getting thinner and the snow underfoot getting thicker. Fairly quickly the snow became so thick that resting your full weight on either foot became a luxury; the unreliable snowy path would regularly give way and send your leg sliding back down the slope with valuable energy being wasted in scrambling back up. Still, these couple of hours were tolerable and I convinced myself that the effort was definitely good for me. The last couple of hours, on the other hand, were utter hell.
I think I was about to pass out at this point
The lack of sleep finally began to catch up with me and, coupled with the ever increasing altitude, pretty soon every step began to feel like an ordeal. Even Shostakovich's 7th Symphony, which had helped me up some pretty monstrous hills during our cycling tour of the west coast of the US, did little to ease the strain. On several occasions stars would begin to dance in front of my eyes and I would have to stop completely to catch my breath and take on water. I think I was probably not far from passing out on a few occasions; I'd never experienced anything like it.

For the last hour or so, I was definitely running on empty and, on this last stretch, the volcanic nature of the mountain became apparent. Misti is an active volcano and although she hadn't given off much ash recently, the surrounding brock formations filled our nostrils with the oppressive stench of sulphur (coughing and wheezing was all I needed at this altitude). We stopped 100m short of the summit and the guides informed us that if we wanted to carry on it would be a further 2 hours to the top since the snow from here onwards would be waist deep and progress would be very slow (I didn't think it could get much slower). Without much hesitation I informed everyone else that I was more than happy to go no further and wait for the others at the bottom. It seems I wasn't the only one on the verge of collapse though, as everyone else opted to forego the final 100m and head back, which was still quite a hike in itself. We had failed, but at least we had failed pretty well.

Descending the mountain would, in normal circumstances, have been pretty easy and probably quite fun (it basically involved bounding down the slopes until you inevitably fell into the soft blanket of snow, getting back up and carrying on) but I was so exhausted that every time I paused and sat down in the snow, the temptation to have a snooze was overwhelming and it was only with many shouts of “Vamos! Vamos!” that the guide would get me moving again. Eventually we arrived at the camp where it took the rest of my mental and physical strength to pack up our tent and set off again for the final stretch back to our starting point. I walked this final section in a dream-like state; the hostel bed was the carrot and I was the donkey.

Arriving back into Arequipa in the early afternoon (after more heroic off-roading from our driver) we got to our hostel only to discover that, due to heavy rainfall, there was no water in the whole of the city. Although in dire need of a shower I cared little and promptly passed out in my bed. After a few hours of blissful sleep I felt something resembling a human being again and we celebrated our failure to reach the summit by going to Zig Zag – a fancy restaurant serving up mouth watering mini-steaks cooked on volcanic rock. Never had failure tasted so good. And never had a hostel bed been so comfy.

No comments:

Post a Comment