Sunday 19 February 2012

11/2/2012 - El Misti day 1: Hike to base camp



Sitting right at the front on the top floor, the snoring of the fat lady next to me and the driver's determination to overtake everything in our path (while going around a blind bend wherever possible) all contributed to another sleepless bus journey. Nevertheless, I was pretty excited when I met up with Alex and Dan to get kitted up for our expedition and was even more thrilled when I saw the dungaree-style ski pants and turquoise 80s puffer jacket that I would be wearing. As well as two guides, we were joined by two English guys on their pre-university gap years who commented that I looked like an eastern European drug dealer in my gear, not an unfair comparison. As well as the hilarious clothes, we were given crampons and an ice axe which would potentially be necessary for the very last part of the ascent, if we ever made it that far...

Having stocked up on snacks and sports drinks in a corner shop where the old woman behind the counter served us so slowly I thought she was going to keel over at any moment, we drove out of Arequipa and quickly hit terrain that really tested the sturdiness of our 4x4 and the skills of our driver. We held our breaths as he navigated the gulleys and mini ravines which made up the “road” to the base of El Misti volcano and we disembarked at the starting point of the trek slightly shaken but infused with a hit of adrenaline from the ride.
Me and Dan oblivious to the hardships ahead...
In spite of my tiredness and the constant uphill nature of the route, our first day's hike to the campsite at 4800m was fairly straightforward. That said, one of the English guys was consistently lagging behind and, without much ceremony, the guides took his ice axe and crampons off him and left them on the path to be collected on the way back – looks like he definitely wasn't going to be heading all the way to the top. At the time I didn't think much of this but it should really have set alarm bell's ringing: this wasn't going to be for the faint-hearted.

Arriving at camp in a persistent drizzle we set up our tents, all of which had seen better days. My soaked puffer jacket, although stylish, wasn't the most waterproof item of clothing I'd ever worn and, along with my damp ski pants, was going to be a real treat to put on tomorrow morning. I say morning but I really mean night – we would be getting up at 2am to give ourselves a chance to reach the top and head back in the same day. I managed to grab a few precious hours of much needed sleep before dinner, which consisted of soup and spaghetti with tuna. Huddled in our tiny tent (probably around the same size as the tent I'd had to myself on the Inca Trail), Alex and I ate the latter with our bare hands since our spoons had already disappeared, and reminisced of the luxuries on the Inca Trail. We'd definitely been spoilt.

As we settled down for the night I was aware that there was little chance of me getting a full nights sleep, let alone trying to catch up on any. This fact was compounded by the guides, in the tent next to us, being in a chatty mood and the presence of a persistent rustling around the front of our tent. I gave up trying to ignore both of these, told the guides to pipe-down and opened the tent door to find several mice crawling all over our bags which were in the tent porch. For a few moments the mice refused to budge but with a mixture of loud expletives and wild gesticulations I managed to get them to scamper and did my best to put everything edible in the tent, even if this did mean that me and Alex were left with even less space and were now essentially spooning. Is this what I get for complaining about being overly comfortable on the Inca Trail?

No comments:

Post a Comment