Sunday 19 February 2012

26-29/1/2012 - Cuzco, getting ready for the trail

View from the bus window

Despite my bus journey being “first class” it was the most restless I'd had on my travels so far. Nevertheless the scenery was spectacular, especially as the road rose above the clouds in the valleys and our bus wound its way through the mountains. Our stop for breakfast was a nice juxtaposition with the relative luxury of the bus, since the only food available was chunks of meat and potatoes being cooked up by a woman in a massive pot outside. It wasn't the breakfast of champions but was a lot more exciting than the aeroplane-esque food we'd got on the bus the night before.

Travelling around by bus in South America is subject to numerous uncontrollable factors so I'd given up asking about arrival times. As a result I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived in Cuzco after a mere 22 hours! I headed to a hostel that had been recommended by the owners of the hostel in Lima (the one where I'd slept in the cement room) so my expectations were fairly low. Again, pleasant surprise was the order of the day when I was shown to a 5 bedroom dorm which had double beds and no-one else in it. Result.
The altitude quickly hit me as I went on a sleep deprived exploration of Cuzco. Nothing makes you stand out more like a recently arrived tourist than puffing and wheezing up an incline while the locals saunter casually past you. The other thing which is instantly noticeable and inescapable is the quantity of tourists. Cuzco's main industry is tourism due to its proximity to Machu Pichu which is a blessing and curse. It undeniably brings money into the region but on the other hand walking around the main square is a bit of a chore. On every step you are pestered by people offering tours, massages, shoe shines, paintings, drugs or alpaca clothes and the presence of both McDonald's, KFC and Starbucks is a sad reminder of tourism's homogenising impact.
Policeman on a segway!
I paid a visit to the offices of the company with whom I would be trekking the Inca Trail and received a garish yellow “I survived the Inca Trail” t-shirt which seemed a bit presumptuous. I briefly flirted with the idea of hiring hiking boots and a heavy-duty rain jacket but then decided that if I survived Roraima with no extras, I would do so again.

The next day I started my usual wanderings to get to know Cuzco. Arriving at one of the cathedrals in the main square I was told tourists weren't allowed in since mass was about to start. Tentatively I asked if I could go to mass and, despite eyeing me with steely scepticism and restating that I would have to sit through the WHOLE service, the woman stepped aside and let me in. Inside, the cathedral was pretty spectacular and although I'm not a believer the setting undoubtedly adds gravity to the ceremony. I'd never actually been to a catholic mass before (nevermind one in Spanish) but I think I got the gist of the sermon, or at least convinced myself that I did. The frail looking priest was surprisingly animated as he asserted that the church wasn't about cathedrals or grandiose ideas but about everyday life and the relationships between ordinary people. I didn't feel like converting afterwards but it was definitely an experience.

They might look cheerful but they definitely want your money
For lunch I headed to San Pedro market a few minutes from the main square, which, although fairly small, sold everything from garish alpaca jumpers to hallucinogenic cacti. Settling down at one of the many stalls selling food I decided to try a “combination” plate which involved essentially a pile of rice, sausage, egg, tomato and plantain - probably the sort of meal I'd make if I lived in Peru (horrible to look at and really bad for you yet delicious and filling). Wandering a few streets away from the main plaza I entered an area where the tourist sheen vanished, the streets became dirtier, the food became cheaper and the place began to feel more real, despite the occasional offers of hats and jumpers.

Walking in the opposite direction away from the central plaza, tourism took hold once again. A mesh of narrow streets climb out of the valley along which hostels, laundries, art shops and eateries entice you in to take a break from your huffing and puffing. The restaurant I ended up in for dinner was one such place – I wanted to try alpaca and the internet said go here. So I did. As I awaited my alpaca I struck up a conversation with 2 English ex-pats who knew the owner, one an English teacher and the other currently looking for work in Cuzco. The English teacher complained about the laziness of his Peruvian students while the other guy, who'd been travelling, seemingly, all his life, told me a bunch of places that I had to visit before heading back to the UK. Somewhere along the way Osho (the Indian mystic) and Richard Dawkins got discussed and after my plate of alpaca (which was delicious) the owner of the restaurant briefly joined us and told me about an Asian restaurant I had to check out in La Paz (Bolivia) to which he only had vague directions and the name of which he couldn't remember (he made me promise I'd message him the name once I got there). Should be an adventure. I ended the night listening to a Doors cover band in a bar nearby and talking to a bunch of Cuzquenians (people who are actually from Cuzco as opposed to the hundreds travellers which saturate Cuzcos nightlife) who all seemed to be either studying or working in tourism but none of whom tried to sell me anything. How refreshing.

With only two days left before the start of the Inca Trail I decided to make some, in retrospect token, attempts to acclimatise and build a bit of fitness. A brisk hike to Saksaywaman, a large Incan site on a hill a couple of kilometres from the central plaza, was my first challenge. Although reaching the top of the hill probably didn't warrant a Rocky-eque air punch, I felt pretty good about myself and the view of Cuzco spreading out below made it all the more worthwhile.

Feeling galvanized I took in the Pre-Colombian Art Museum which unfortunately housed more or less the same stuff as the Larco museum in Lima minus the erotic pottery and the only thing that drew my attention was the wonderfully flowery language in the descriptions (see photo). Another startling thing I learned was that the Inca Empire only existed for just under 100 years (1438-1533). Previously I had been a little confused about why people got excited about the Inca empire but the knowledge that they achieved all they did in such a short time period got me pretty interested as well.
Chill out, its only a jug
Suitably cultured up I went to the horribly named “Korma Sutra” - an Indian restaurant recommended by the guys I'd met on the previous night. According to them this was one of the only places in Cuzco which did good alpaca (the other being the place I was at last night) so I promptly ordered the alpaca special which didn't disappoint. I also noticed that the menu had “Cuzco – Manchester – London” written on the back! I couldn't believe that I'd never heard of Korma Sutra in Manchester but when I asked the owner about this it became apparent why. Manchester and London were only written on the menu as speculative future ventures, about which the owner didn't at the present time seem very hopeful. I told him that he might face a bit more competition in Manchester than in Cuzco (where there is virtually none) but wished him best of luck.
In a tiny bar nearby I tried my first “Pisco Sour” the traditional drink of Peru made from the alcohol Pisco (a grape brandy), lemon juice and egg-white while a group of hippie-looking musicians played some folk music. The rustic set-up and use of sellotape to keep the microphones in position reminded me of some of our own band practices back in the day.
Mural along Av El Sol
 The last day before the trek I caved in and decided to buy some alpaca clothes. I absolutely love haggling and today was really good fun. I look at it almost as a form of improvised theatre albeit with a slightly narrow range of themes and potential outcomes. I don't think my drama GCSE went to waste – I'd incredulously quote other (fictitious) offers I'd been made, I'd narrow my eyes whilst pretending to carefully study the quality of the produce (which I had no idea about) and if the shopkeeper wouldn't come down to my price I'd pretended to walk away knowing they'd call me back and accept the price. There's nothing quite like the feeling of walking away knowing you've gotten a good deal whilst dozens of stupid tourists are getting ripped off around you. I just have to make sure I get it out of my system before I get back to the UK – sadly you can't haggle with a barcode.
Plaza de las Armas by night

No comments:

Post a Comment