Monday 24 October 2011

21/10/2011 - Kids, Horses and Mosquitos


After a long and awkward morning group volunteer meeting, during which I could have squeezed gallons of blood out of the surrounding sedimentary rocks in the time it took us to make a plan for next weeks activities (which ended up being more or less the same as this weeks), the kids came to the farm again and we took the horses out into the little sandy enclosure on the farm. Later Richard told me that the Foundation is the only free activity for children in Santa Elena; the government does little to provide for kids from poor backgrounds.

Richard is standing in as coordinator for Manfred Monnighoff, a German businessman, who set up the Foundation 7 years ago but is back in Germany at the moment to be with his dying mother. The current dynamic between Gatrey, Martina (volunteers) and Richard (coordinator) is interesting to say the least. However, this is not a blog about power struggles and group dynamics in small NGOs, so I won't go into details.

In the evening, after failed attempts to watch some kung-fu films Manuel had bought (the dvd would seamlessly skip massive chunks of the film leaving me wondering why I couldn't follow the story) I had a chat with Richard about his horse-riding days and the trials and tribulations of being a coordinator of the Foundation. I also noticed the large amounts of mosquito bites on my legs which I'd obtained from being near horses wearing only shorts. Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment