Monday 16 January 2012

2-6/1/2012 - Meet people! Go places!! Do things!!!


Our diving course began in the morning with a 3 hour video about scuba diving. The video was narrated by a perfectly grating American and had atrocious “comic” segments which really tested the patience. At every opportunity the video reminded you to meet people, go places and do things (all diving related of course). You'd be mistaken falling under the impression that divers are all adverse to travel, incredibly lazy and socially underdeveloped and thus needed a motivational pep talk and cringe-worthy motto to get them going. Somehow the 3 hours passed and finally we were ready to hit the open water. Well the other people in the group were anyway – my first diving adventure would be in a swimming pool (I hadn't booked the course in advance and it looked like they wouldn't have space but the receptionist said they could accommodate me if I spent the first day getting taught in a swimming pool and would join the rest of the group after today). So after lunch (of fish) me and my French instructor headed to a nearby hostel which had a swimming pool and got started. Donning the equipment and extra weights (necessary to make you actually sink) and getting into the pool I felt about as agile as I would guess I fish feels out of water. Breathing only through your mouth took some getting used to as well and for a while I really wondered if I was up to this diving malarkey. Still, I seemed to get on ok with all the exercises the instructor taught me and even if at times I would find myself floating uncontrollably to the surface or sinking like a stone to the bottom he seemed relatively pleased at the end of our session. We had dived to an unprecedented depth of 2 meters so I wasn't certain how much this experience prepared me for tomorrow when I would be diving to 8 meters in the Caribbean. I did not mull over this thought for long. Besides, while me and Ben enjoyed delicious fresh fruit juices (I went for mango, he for starfish) from one of the many street side vendors, he told me the main group hadn't got through as many exercises as I had which was a little reassuring.

Our daily fish plate
We spent the next morning studying (we have to get through a pretty hefty book on diving and sit an exam at the end of the course to get our qualification) and although most of it was dull, common sense stuff (albeit with a few physics concepts about pressure and density thrown in haha) it was, dare I say, almost enjoyable to do a bit of studying again. Will I be looking back on a scuba diving course in Taganga as the experience that convinced me to do a PhD? Probably not, but it gave me pause for thought nonetheless.

In the afternoon I got my first experience of real open water diving. As I had anticipated there was a host of challenges associated with diving outside of a swimming pool, the most noticeable being the pain you feels in your ears and sinuses due to the pressure increasing as you descend. To avoid this you need to “equalize” the pressure (basically block your nose and blow to pop your ears) but I hadn't really had much practice of this in the swimming pool so my first descent wasn't a particularly pleasant one. However after a while underwater I began to get the hang of it and once we'd done a bunch more exercises I started feeling a bit more confident. The novelty of being underwater and doing the exercises was great but I wasn't convinced if I would enjoy myself once that novelty wore off. In the evening I shared these thoughts with Ben who said he felt more of less the same. However, we had another session of diving to complete (and an exam to sit!) before the course was over so I decided to reserve my judgement until later.

The last day of diving completely changed my mind. Despite an early morning start the sun was already blazing and as soon as the boat stopped at our dive site and we started kitting up the heat was ferocious. Plunging over backwards from the boat into the water was a blissful relief and much to my surprise the equipment no longer felt as cumbersome as it had on the first day. We descended to 12 meters and after a couple more exercises we finally got some reward for our hard work and I realised why people get such a kick out of diving. Our instructor beckoned us to follow him and as I drifted along behind him and was finally able to concentrate on something other than how I should be breathing, fiddling with my buoyancy or swapping air channels with my “buddy”, I began to appreciate just how beautiful our surroundings were. Schools of bright yellow and blue fish swim past, eels peak out of rocky outcroppings and the sea bottom is a maze of mini-volcano shaped rocks, coral and vegetation I'd never seen before – it was a little bit like being on the top of Roraima again.

As we finished our last dive, which was just for fun (we'd done all the exercises to death) and was definitely the most enjoyable, I craved more. Maybe I'll have a go at searching for coral reefs off the coast of Scotland once I get back.

In the evening we celebrated our success by heading to the first night of, bizarrely, a techno festival on a beach a stone's throw away from Taganga. Despite its proximity to Taganga it was a real challenge to find out where it was (Ben only knew about it because of a friend) but eventually we made it. Although it wasn't exactly my kind of music (although they did throw in some occasional drum and bass which I appreciated) everyone there was friendly and I managed to chat to a bunch of the dj's and get some recommendations of places to check out in Bogota, Colombia's capital.
Feeling somewhat exhausted after the last 3 days, me and Ben spent the next 2 days finishing off the bookwork for our diving qualification, sitting the exam (which we thankfully both passed), eating fish and getting some well earned rest. My body actually slightly complained after the diving – the result of travelling for a month on a Venezuelan diet and not doing any exercise. One of my resolutions is definitely to exercise some self control around the street food of Colombia which tempts me at every corner with fatty yet delicious treats. I don't have much faith in myself to be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment