Monday 23 January 2012

10-13/1/2012 - Hasta luego amigo


In the morning, me and Ben parted ways as he opted to move on while I was seduced into spending a few more days in Taganga and Santa Marta. I passed the day reading, chatting to other travellers and exploring parts of Taganga that I hadn't yet seen and, ofcourse, trying some more of the delicious fresh fruit smoothies – my personal favourite has become the mango milkshake which I will have to try (and inevitably fail) to recreate when I return to the UK.

The next day, prompted by a lack of water in my hostel and a lack of electricity in the whole of Taganga (quite a common occurrence), I jumped on a bus back to Santa Marta and found a hostel in the centre. Since I'd had quite a lot of beach time in the last couple of days I was struck by a craving for culture and so headed to the monument and botanical gardens where Simon Bolivar died. As well as the usual historical fare there was also quite a sizeable exhibition of modern art and one of the rooms even had a live pianist bashing out competent renditions of Chopin's Ballades and Scherzos. It was a real treat to hear music I knew and loved in such a tranquil setting (I resisted the urge to ask to have a go). After listening to the pianist for a while I accidentally fumbled my way into a small library and, after browsing a few to books to save face in front of the steely-eyed librarian, I headed back to my hostel with culture coming out of my ears.
The room where Bolivar died (the bed is tiny!)
In the evening I had a couple of beers in a bar while chatting to 2 guys who lived in Santa Marta. It was good force myself to get back into speaking spanish (especially when in a slightly inebriated state) and we discussed everything from social problems in Colombia (one of the guys worked with disadvantaged teenagers) to the perils of growing old and still being single (both of them were in the their early 30's and were going through a bit of a crisis). Naturally Colombian women got a mention too.

The next two days I spent feeling a bit under the weather so used the opportunity to try and catch up with folks back home as well as have a few wanders around the nice parts of Santa Marta and sample the seafood cocktails served up along the beach front. I also realised that the two weeks I had left to get to Cuzco in Peru (from where I was starting the Inca Trail trek to Machu Pichu which I'd already booked) really wasn't a lot of time to cover such a massive distance. After mulling over whether to take one flight which would take around 9 hours or around 7 buses which would take around 5 days (but be about $300 cheaper) I opted for the buses. With that decided it was time to stop lounging around Santa Marta and hit the road. Next stop – Cartagena.

No comments:

Post a Comment