Sunday 18 December 2011

13/12/2011 - First taste of the Caribbean


In the morning I gave Puerto La Cruz another chance to inspire me but was greeted with the familiar mix of shoe shops and street vendors. The beach was a bit of a grim affair but the Plaza Bolivar was quite nice. Yearning for some beach time, I caught a bus to a nearby beach village called Playa Colorada where, as soon as I stepped off the bus, I bumped into 2 gringos, the first I'd come across since leaving Santa Elena. Dave from England and Connie from Germany showed me the way to the nearby Posada/Adventure centre which turned out to be a bit of a gringo-haven. With a beach on the opposite side of the road and breakfast, dinner and a hammock for about £10 a day I decided this wouldn't be a bad place to spend a few nights.
It was nice to see and hear some English speakers again (although most of them were German or Swedish) all of which were involved in the programs run by the Posada. A group of 9 were part of something called the travelling school which involved doing activities around Venezuela (trips to Roraima and Gran Sabana etc) whilst learning Spanish (although the classes ran into the usual difficulty of trying to learn Spanish language whilst being surrounded by gringos speaking English or German all the time). 2 French girls were also here for a volunteering placement organised by the company and I smiled a knowing smile as they told me about the incompetence of the organisers and how they'd only managed to see the kids they were supposed to be working with only once in the two weeks they'd been here. Their volunteering placement made the foundation in Santa Elena sound like a sleek, well-oiled machine in comparison and I was reminded that you don't fully appreciate what you have until you see something worse. Still this place had a nice relaxed atmosphere and was a real welcome change after that horrid room in Puerto La Cruz.
In the late afternoon I wandered down to the beach and, as the sun set on the picturesque little bay and I sipped on a beer whilst watching the pelicans diving for fish and the boats coming into the shore, I definitely felt a few pangs of “this is the life”. 
 
In the evening I chatted to folk at the posada and although the range of activities they were doing sounded quite cool it really didn't sound like the program allowed any freedom or interaction with Venezuelan people. Also, for several weeks during the program, the group would be based at the posada in Playa Colorada which consists of the beach and about 2 roads, not exactly the most happening place in Venezuela (I kept wanting to ask “How are you not bored out of your mind!?”). Different strokes for different folks but I couldn't help but feel that most of these guys would be leaving Venezuela with a slightly whitewashed experience and not very much Spanish.

The english guy Dave, who'd done a PhD in Computational Chemistry, told me he'd done a 4 week volunteering placement in a city called Merida in the west which he said didn't really get going until the 4th week. Overall it gave me a bit more of a perspective on my time at Santa Elena. Over a bottle of cheap rum we isolated the others by chatting about the imminent discovery of the Higgs boson and the hilarity of having to use the Fortran programming language for his PhD. Oh dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment