Sunday 18 December 2011

11/12/2011 - Orinoco Delta Day 2


We spent the morning exploring more of the delta and were lucky to come across a troupe of (in spanish) Cappuccino monkeys parading across the trees in front of us and a python snoozing nearby. I even managed a few semi decent photos although I've concluded wildlife photography is not my calling. In the afternoon we donned wellies and headed into the jungle where the mosquitoes were out in full force. While we walked, swiping randomly just about kept them at bay but whenever we stopped for more than a few seconds, when Lui would tell me about the medicinal properties that seemingly every plant in the jungle had, they descended with an almighty fury. After Lui had cut down a few plants to make medicine for some of his family we made a quick retreat back to our boat and the haven of the river, whose tranquillity I now appreciated all the more for its lack of mosquitoes.

If you squint you might be able to make out a monkey somewhere in the top of the tree
Having surveyed the damage, I then tried my hand at pirana fishing, my first attempt at fishing of any kind in fact. Although Lui told me there was a very slim chance that we'd catch anything, since it had rained a lot, within ten minutes or so I felt a snag on my line, flailed wildly like I'd seen people do on tv and was rewarded with a tiny pirana! Having exhausted my beginners luck, we failed to catch anything else but I did get to taunt Lui that he needed more practice. So again, while I probably won't make fishing my full time profession, it was definitely a great experience and I got the photo to prove it. 


We watched another spectacular sunset while chatting about Lui's current lack of a woman. Turns out Lui is 26, has 3 kids aged 5, 6 and 7 and his wife has left him so the kids live with him and their grandma. I've got a lot of catching up to do in 2 years; I feel like a child in comparison and maybe something about travelling and seeing new things has brought back a child like sense of excitement in me. I also have to keep reminding myself that “real life” (or starting a family) starts a lot earlier here than back home, and its normal for indigenous couples to have 5-6 kids before they even hit their 30s. I told Lui he should try and snag a rich tourist, which is easier said than done in the scope of a 3 day excursion but if he milks that sunset I reckon he's got a chance. 
 
I think there may be a monkey in this tree too
Life in a river community has its own pace, one which is unsurprisingly slower than elsewhere. Although some of the indigenous people living on the river are involved in tourism, the majority still live a more traditional lifestyle, working on the land or fishing (Lui's family used to farm melons before the earth became less fertile). This obviously goes hand in hand with ownership of many modern conveniences like television, and buying “western” clothes from town, but Lui said a lot of the food and medicine still comes from the surrounding area. Lui also told me that the majority of people still spoke the indigenous language and that the children always spoke it with their parents which is in an interesting contrast to the community we worked with in Santa Elena where the language and the majority of the customs were being overpowered by outside influence. I would guess a lot of it has to do with proximity; maybe the river provides a natural barrier (its a 1-2 hour trip to the nearest town from Lui's house) so the unstoppable march of globalisation will have to wait a little longer before every indigenous community on the river has a blackberry.

Chillin and fishing with Lui

We also discussed the fact that this would be my first Christmas away from my family, something I hadn't really given much thought to until now. According to Lui, Christmas and New Year around here are good fun, as each community up and down the river organises a fiesta and, since it seems everyone knows everyone else, its a great excuse to say hi to the neighbours, have a drink and have a dance with the chicas. The the sense of community here is amazing and something that is sadly missing in a city. After a dinner of fish (a slightly more impressive specimen than the one I caught) I fell asleep to the sound of the jungle and wondered where I'd be for Christmas and if I'd enjoy life on the river. I concluded that, no, within a few more days I'd be bored out of my mind, but the experience was memorable to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment